05 November 2012

Keep it Easy (Rewind Edition)

If you've been around here awhile, this isn't anything new (sorry to disappoint you).  But this is always a great  seller for me all fall long.  It makes a perfect gift.  It's inexpensive, useful and handmade.  Good for teachers, coworkers, stocking stuffers, hairdressers....

I can't take any credit for these.  I saw them a long long LONG time ago.  I love using up retired paper.  I mass produce these puppies by following these little steps:

  1. Quickly paint the edges of a cardboard square blank coaster - you can omit this step, but I like a pretty finished edge. I paint in a coordinating color.  
  2. Once the paint is dry, adhere designer (scrapbook) paper to each side.  You can use mod podge, glue stick or spray adhesive.  You don't want bubbles.  
  3. I quickly sand the edges to make sure the paper fits perfectly (did you know you could sand off the edges of the paper?  It saves a lot of time!).  I cut the paper in a square and then use the sanding method to get the corners perfectly rounded.  
  4. Remove any paper crumbs if you sanded in Step 3.  
  5. Coat the entire thing with mod podge.  Use thumb tacks to keep the coaster elevated while drying.  
  6. Flip and coat the other side with Mod Podge.  You can also use a spray sealer if prefer.  
  7. Use sticky strip to adhere the post-its to the coaster. 
  8. Decorate binder clip with a snip of paper.  Optional, add ribbon scrap tied on the clip.  

Mod Podge takes a while to completely dry.  It remains tacky.  Don't try to crank these out the night before.  You can omit sealing the DSP if you prefer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin